Convened on Wednesday May 12th 2021, the Council of Government, chaired by Head of Government Mr. Saad Dine El Otmani, adopted several decrees relating to the upcoming elections, setting thus the dates and calendars for the 2021 elections. Namely:
- Decree N° 2.21.352 setting the election date for the members of the Chambers of Agriculture;
- Decree N° 2.21.353 setting the election date for the members of the Chambers of Commerce, Industry and Services, Handicraft and Fisheries;
- Decree N° 2.21.354 setting the election date for the members of the Councils of Communes and Districts;
- Decree N° 2.21.355 setting the election date for the members of the Councils of Regions;
- Decree N° 2.21.356 setting the election date for the members of the House of Representatives;
- Decree N° 2.21.357 setting the election date for the members of the Councils of Prefectures and Provinces;
- Decree N° 2.21.358 setting tthe election date for the members of the House of Councilors (second chamber).
The decrees has therefore set the elections dates and calenders as follow:
- Friday 6 August 2021: Election of the members of “professional” chambers (chambers of commerce, industry and services, handicraft, fisheries and agriculture);
- Wednesday 8 September 2021: Election of the members of the House of Representatives and the councils of regions communes and districts;
- Tuesday 21 September 2021: Election of the members of the councils of prefectures and provinces;
- Tuesday 5 October 2021: Election of the House of Councilors.
About the observation of elections
The independent and impartial observation of elections in Morocco is governed by Law # 30-11, enacted on October 6th, 2011. The law sets the terms and conditions of the observation of elections and establishes a Special Commission for the Accreditation of Election Observers. It mandates the Commission to receive and review applications and give accreditation to election observers. The Commission establishesthe observation charter that defines fundamental principles and obligations for election observation.
The Special Commission for the Accreditation of Election Observers held a first meeting on Tuesday 23 March 2021 at the National Human Rights Council in Rabat. The meeting was chaired by Ms Amina Bouayach, CNDH Chairperson, in her capacity as Chair of the Special Commission. Representatives of government departments and members of associations attended the meeting.
During its first meeting for the upcoming election, the Special Commission approved the Rules of Procedure, Application form, Call for accreditation applications, and the observation Charter.